15 Drunk Driving Facts in Texas
If you’ve heard it once, you’ve heard it a million times: drunk driving is a horrible idea. Even with multiple campaigns and the majority of people knowing the risks associated with drinking and driving, thousands of Texans lose their lives at the hands of drunk drivers each year, with many others suffering injuries from which they may never fully recover. Did you know that Texas is ranked in the top 10 states that account for the highest number of DUI-related fatalities, going to show that this problem is not becoming any less prevalent in our state.
In order to express the severity of this problem we have put together a list of some of the most shocking and eye-opening facts and statistics about drunk driving in Texas.
Things You May Not Know About Drunk Driving In Texas
- 50 to 70 percent of those with suspended licenses in Texas continue to drive
- Illegal drugs and substances contribute to 18 percent of all fatal auto accidents
- The average person will drive drunk 80 times before they are caught
- You are 11 times more likely to be killed in a fatal auto accident when you drive drunk
- Drivers ages 21-24 are responsible for roughly 35 percent of all fatal DUI accidents
- On average, someone is killed every 40 minutes by a drunk driver in the United States
- An average of 660 teenagers under the age of 18 were arrested in Texas for a DUI in 2011
- More DUI drivers die in automobile accidents in Texas than non-DUI drivers
- Taxpayers end up spending more than 6 billion dollars each year because of accidents that occur because of drunk drivers
- Over 15,600 Texans suffered injuries due to alcohol-related accidents in 2015
- Almost 41 percent of all traffic death in Texas in 2015 were due to drunk drivers
- Over 71,000 Texans were convicted of drunk driving charges in 2015 alone
- More than 99,000 drivers were arrested in 2015 in Texas for DUI
- There were an estimated 1440 Texans were killed in drunk driving accidents in 2015.
Were You Involved In A Drunk Driving Accident?
When someone gets behind the wheel while intoxicated, they are making a decision to put countless lives in danger. This negligent and reckless act unfortunately happens far too often, however. If you or someone you know has been injured in an auto accident that involved a drunk driver, you need to understand what exactly your rights are. When you hire a Texas personal injury lawyer, you can seek the compensation you deserve for the damages you have experienced.
When You File A Personal Injury Lawsuit
While you may not realize it right now, by hiring the right personal injury lawyer, you can seek compensation for the following:
- Loss of wages that were lost in the past and in the future
- Diminished earning capacity
- Pain and suffering/mental anguish
- Cost of medical bills and ongoing medical care
- Funeral costs if a wrongful death case
- Punitive damages
Do You Need Representation?
If you are in need of the assistance of an experienced and passionate personal injury attorney, it’s time for you to call the expert team at Alex Hernandez Trial Law. We would be happy to answer questions you have about your case and even happier to be able to represent you. Contact us now to find out what we can do for you!