In 2016, Texas recorded the highest number of work-related deaths from accidents. 545 were reported that year, and of these, the construction industry accounted for a large number of fatalities.
Common causes of accidents at construction sites include –
1. Falls – Falls from heights account for the maximum of injuries and fatalities at construction sites. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nearly four of ten worker deaths in 2015 were because of falls from scaffoldings.
2. Tripping – Tripping is a real risk at construction sites because of broken surfaces, piles of tools and construction materials strewn around, cracks in the road, and slippery surfaces can result in slips, trips, falls, and injuries. Clear pathways and better lighting can help prevent such accidents. Warning signs, road blocks, diversions can further bring down the number of casualties from such accidents at a construction site.
3. Vehicles – According to the Occupational Safety and health Administration (OSHA), collisions of workers with vehicles or equipment are the leading cause of fatalities in road construction projects in America. Protective clothing, clearly demarcated work zones, and better visibility.
4. Electrocution – In 2017, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, there were 81 fatalities because of electrocution. It is imperative that workers on construction sites know ow utilities are wired and take necessary safety precautions before commencing work.
5. Explosions – Flammable liquids and gases under extreme pressure in cylinders are used in construction sites. These present a hazard that can lead to explosions and fire. Read warning labels and implement safety precautions.
Accidents on construction sites can be fatal or leave you with a seriously debilitating injury. If you have suffered such an injury then you need the services of an experienced personal injury law firm. At the Law Offices of Alex R Hernandez, Jr., we understand how devastating the aftermath of a construction site personal injury can be. We are committed to help you recover