Virtual, Video and Phone Consults Available ~ SE HABLA ESPAÑOL 361-792-3811
When It Matters Most, Call Alex First.

When you’ve been injured on the job and you are a seaman or harbor worker, you might be owed compensation for the injury you suffered. Learn about your maritime injury rights by contacting a Kingsville maritime attorney at Alex R. Hernandez Jr. PLLC.

Admiralty law, also known as maritime law, is a set of laws meant to govern activities that take place on or near navigable waters. These laws cover many different things, but one of the most important pieces of maritime law is that it protects workers financially when they’ve been injured at work.

Working on the ocean or in the harbor can be dangerous, and workers deserve to receive financial compensation while recovering from a serious injury. It’s important that you understand what benefits you might be entitled to. Get in touch with a Kingsville maritime lawyer to learn what your options are after a work-related injury.

Getting to Know the Jones Act

If you are a seaman, that means you work on a navigable vessel. Working on a ship or boat comes with great risk to your safety. If you have been injured while at work, you might be able to sue your employer under the Jones Act. This act makes it possible for workers to sue their employer for compensation if negligence was found to have played a role in the accident.

You will need to prove negligence on the part of your employer, but the bar for negligence under the Jones Act is low. For example, if a spill on the deck of the ship you worked on was left unattended, you might be able to show negligence. You could recover financial compensation under this law to pay for your injuries and damages.

Understanding the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act

Another act that was created to protect workers who work near water is the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act. This act was created to protect workers who aren’t seamen but who work in the harbor. For instance, dockworkers would likely be protected under this act. 

If you believe you qualify to receive benefits because you’ve been injured on the job, you should talk to a maritime injury lawyer in Kingsville about your case. Your maritime attorney can analyze your case to determine if you’re eligible to file a claim.

Speak to a Maritime Lawyer in Kingsville, Texas

Admiralty law works differently than other types of workers compensation laws. Make sure that you speak to a lawyer who understands maritime law and the benefits you might be entitled to receive. When you’ve been injured at work, you will be missing out on wages, and you could be faced with expensive medical bills related to your injury.

Receiving benefits through maritime law could help you financially while you recover from your physical and mental injuries. Contact a Kingsville maritime lawyer with Alex R. Hernandez Jr. PLLC to discuss your options for financial compensation. Call 361-792-3811 or fill in the internet form down below to receive a free claim evaluation.


3833 S Staples St, Ste N218
Corpus Christi 78411

Phone: 361-792-3811

Principal Office

316 W 12th St.
Austin Texas 78701


Victoria Office

101 W. Goodwin Suite 750
Victoria, Texas 77901

Phone 361-575-3101

Port Lavaca Office

402 W. Main St.
Port Lavaca, Texas 77979

Phone 361-552-3100

Connect with Us

Call Now ButtonClick Phone to Call