No Car Insurance and Sued for an Accident – What do I Do?


If you don’t have car insurance and are involved in a car accident where you may be at fault, then there’s every chance that you will have to pay from your own pocket. The amount you pay will depend to a great deal on how convincingly you’re able to present your case. In order to do this, you must consider the services of an attorney firm that has handled such cases.

If the other driver does not have uninsured motorist coverage; then for a small claim you may be taken to a small claims court. Here, it’s just the defendant and the plaintiff in the presence of a judge. There’s no lawyer in the picture. In a small claims court, your liability cannot go beyond the limits stipulated by Texas law; usually the limit is $10,000.

If the accident results in serious injury or damage to the other party, and uninsured motorist coverage is not in the picture then expect that the plaintiff will use the services of an auto accident lawyer. If you’re broke, with no assets, and with no source of income, then come clean and hope for the best. The lawyer may settle for what’s available instead of pursuing for a settlement that cannot materialize. That’s a waste of time for all involved.

But if you do have an income, then in cases of serious injury and damage you can lose a fair amount of money to claims. You need the services of a lawyer that can represent you aggressively. Without insurance cover, you own all liabilities and you must reduce these to the extent possible.

If the other driver has uninsured motorist insurance, then the plaintiff’s insurer will bear the costs but will most likely bring a subrogation claim against you for the costs that it paid from its pockets and also lawyer fees.

Only a lawyer can evaluate the merits of the claims raised against you. Get in touch with us if you don’t have insurance and are involved in a car accident.

Call Now ButtonClick Phone to Call